Monday, August 24, 2020

Macro Monday 39, flowers and bees

Lately I've been experimenting with photos that look a bit like paintings. It came to me that I hadn't done any macro work for a while, and started thinking that combining might work. As always, I was just trying to get a nice shot, but mainly I was enjoying spending some time in the garden, revelling in the details, taking the time to see them. The bees were cooperative, as bees go.

Todays photos are using the 100mm macro with extension tubes.

1.

2.

3. The next two are not the same shot, though they look quite alike. The first is a typical flower shot for me, and the second I was playing focus focus a bit, and a different treatment in Lightroom. It isn't the best subject for a painterly look, but I think this is going to be a work in progress.



4.

5. Yes, this is a leaf. Pity the ant disappeared while I was getting set up.

6,

7. Linda suggested this looked more like a coloured pencil drawing, which is an interesting idea.

8. The promised bee photos.


9.


10.


11.


12.

13. Those are red orange dahlias out front, and there's a red purple dahlia in the back.

14. I had another go at the begonias. This orange red is really hard for some reason.



15.


16.

17.

Of the Day
Curtis and Celina, paying no attention as I get set up for the macro shots.

Flowers

White Peony

Driftwood

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those begonia shots are gorgeous! The bees too, though I sometimes find them a little too close for comfort. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. The paint experiment is interesting from a technique perspective but it feels like the lily doesn't need gilding. Some of these images take me somewhere else, and I like that. Some feel like fabric (1,2,5), and other such as 14, 15, 16 take me underwater. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!