Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The editing

Whew! The massive edit is done. I looked at about 3500 images from the digital and two film cameras. To be honest, I was getting a bit punch drunk by the end, so who knows what I'll think when I look at them again. There is almost certainly more keywording to happen so I can find things later. It's easy to miss a photo, or overlook an entire category.

In other news it's still smoking hot here, with the smoke in the air coming and going. There was an impact on the garden, of course, but Linda thinks that even if she had been here, what with the water restrictions and the whiplash between late frosts and early heat, there isn't much she could have done differently than what our wonderful house sitter did. And yes, we're still hearing from Celina about what rotten humans we are, and she wants that wonderful person back. All we can say is, hard times kitty, suck it up.

NL likes those portable radar speed signs. They're everywhere. Often as the speed limit drops just before a town or construction zone, but other places too. Like at the bottom of big hills. There are several different styles of flashing to tell drivers what speed they're driving, which typically they know perfectly well. I often thought that hybrid vehicles would be a good fit because there are so many hills. But sometimes the radar thingie is at the top of a hill for no reason I understand. Like this one.


Yes, that's a speed radar thingie picking up Linda as she strides up the hill to the Citadel. It says she was doing 9 KpH. It's technology, so we have to believe it, right? It's a wide angle photo, do you see a car? No. In comparison, back in my running days, if I ran 10 K in an hour, I was really pleased with myself. So if you wonder why there are so many photos of Linda off in the distance, this is why.

The idea behind attaching key words to photos is so you can find them later. Newfoundland is a universal key word for all the photos from the trip. But other key words include, seascape, landscape, water, reflection, Linda Mulligan, stone, panorama, cloudscape, sunset, sunrise, panorama, flowers, bee, dragonfly, long exposure, plus things like Delta 100, film6x9, film35mm, b&w, Kodak Gold 200. I did not specifically create a keyword for waterfalls, though I'm wondering if maybe I should. I like photographing waterfalls. Neither did I do one for red chairs, though there were some blue ones as well. And the puffin chairs on the way into Raleigh, though a purist would say they were the exit chairs because that photo was the last thing we did before heading out for the last time.

There are a few photos taken specifically because I was thinking of a particular person at the time. I'll tell that story when the mermaid butt shot shows up. Some photos were because I was trying for a specific long exposure effect, or the light was so gorgeous, or it was documentary in the sense of a sign or plaque telling me what we were looking at. Which is important for me. There are a couple where I didn't do that, and just from the individual photo I've no idea what the photo is about or where we were. Sometimes I can piece it together from the date or the photos just before or after it, or knowing the date and consulting my notes about where we were. There were a few bucket list photos I wanted, like the reflection photo of a fishing village, a storm lashed rocky coastline, a foggy scene, the entry sign to a particular village, a whale, a moose, a scenic lookout onto an iconic NL scene, the colourful homes, you get the idea. And rocks. Some of the rocks are really interesting, and are there ever a lot of rocks.

So my thinking now is to work through the photos, show you a reasonable number at a time, preferably relating to a story, but maybe not. At the same time, behind the scenes, I'm thinking about book images. I'm also thinking about a process to revisit some photo sequences, like the one set of cloud photos from The Rooms. I was captivated by them in person, but the photos did nothing for me. Perhaps a revisit and careful editing will change that. And yes, the July image of the month is likely to be a NL image, and probably the runners up as well.

The red chairs are everywhere, and yes, they're a bit of a cliche. This is near the Citadel, and the reverse is Linda in the Of the Day feature. Something to keep in mind about many of the photos is that a hill is often steeper than the photo appears, and if there is a cliff, it's usually a really long way down, landing in a jagged intersection of sea and rocks.


Colourful houses clinging to the rocks.


Even though we didn't see an actual live moose, there's lots of evidence of their existence. Like this moose exclosure. Someone went to a lot of time and trouble to build a moose-proof fence around a big area to let the vegetation recover. It turns out that if moose move in after a fire, they'll strip the recovering trees before they get big, and then the nature of the forest changes permanently.






Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (NL)
Oddly enough, I didn't see much driftwood till later in our trip.


Yukon

Film (new)
From a wander along the Bow River, just south of 22X.


Michelle

Linda
I'm only a few feet in front of her, with a steep hill right behind me. Yes, I was really careful with my footing. There were times other people were around the chairs. Usually people were good about sharing, but not always.


Here's another view of those particular red chairs.


Newfoundland
This view of the Citadel is taken not far from the red chairs. 


People like playing with rocks, and there's going to be more of these. But this tall pile is near the Citadel, not far from the red chairs. I've never had any luck piling up rocks.




1 comment:

  1. Since you were in NL, I wouldn't expect anything but NL photos to vie for the image of the month. Keep them coming - absolutely beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!