Monday, January 1, 2024

December Image of the Month

Here we are in 2024. But let's put the photographic 2023 to bed first. Yes, I'm actively dithering about 2023 Image of the Year. I'm down to 5.

Other than a race and a community event, December was a pretty quiet photo month for me. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at existing photos, thinking about books, and starting to think about image of the year.

2nd Runner Up
Light trails are normally all about the colour; the splashy red of brake lights, and if you're lucky the flashing lights of an emergency vehicle. I had a few frames left to finish a roll of Acros II 35mm film. This is an interesting situation for film photographers. We simultaneously want to finish the roll so we can see that one photo earlier in the roll, and yet we don't want to waste the film with nothing photos.

Fog or mist is one way of changing the look of a photo. I hadn't had a chance to see how that looks on film, so when I saw a foggy morning I left my coffee and grabbed the camera. I had no idea how light trails would look on black and white film, and the passing vehicles were the obvious subject. I saw the bus coming, but the driver taunted me by stopping for a coffee at the 7-11. I'm really pleased at the subtle tones between light and shadow.


1st Runner Up
A walk in Fish Creek at Mallard Point. The light was nice, and something about this composition just grabbed me. Film is FP4+.

Image of the Month
Linda needed a photo to go with a presentation she was making to her Master Gardener buddies. The light was a bit harsh and I didn't want her looking into the sun. If I'd had an assistant I'd have used the shade thingie to soften the light. Still it was a fun exercise in doing a quick portrait.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year. The portrait of Linda is nicely done. The bus is good but not quite satisfying to my eye, as it feels muddy rather than misty. Curve and contrast adjustments might help get the feel I think you want (heh but that is just me). Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!