Tuesday, August 1, 2023

July Image of the Month

This is going to be one of the hard months to decide. There's already been some dithering, and it isn't even August yet as I write this. I'm trying to decide between 10 images. Three are being in the right place at the right time with a camera pointed in the right direction. One is a zero setup snap shot. Two are end of roll photos with a wonderfully patient model.  Two are flower photos where I had lots of time to create the photo. One is a landscape scene with great light. One is a carefully composed reflection. Decisions, decisions.

Oddly enough, once I settled down and thought about it, IoTM was easy. Then the reflection because the more I look at it the more I like it. Then I struggled. I can give good reasons why any of the other 8 would have a place on the podium. 

2nd Runner Up
The white peony has been on the podium a number of times, and no surprise. All those ruffles, add some water drops, and halfway nice light, and you've got a good photo. Add in the future of the blossom, wondering what the two might say to each other if they could talk, and I think that puts the photo just a bit ahead of a steam train photo, or a southern Alberta landscape in sunset light. Interested readers can probably find those two photo without much difficulty, and can tell me why they think one of them should be here, instead of these.


1st Runner Up 
One of the photos during a walk in Fish Creek with a new to me EOS-3 film camera loaded with HP5+. I was looking for nature scenes with a variety of light, and the reflections were a bonus. The thumbnail below doesn't show much detail in the shadows, but they're there in the embiggened version. You can see more photos from this roll here

Image of the Month
You can find the story that goes with this owl here


1 comment:

  1. No surprise on the IoTM. The 1st runner up is one that grows on me, even if there has been some detail loss in the screen version.. The top left corner appears a little hot, and might benefit from being dialed back with a linear gradient. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!