Friday, July 17, 2015

Why is my swim bag so heavy?

Last night I bottled the Aglianico. It's a deep rich ruby red, a little tart and oaky now, but the fruit is right up in your face. Once it matures it's going to be awesome! Needless to say I had supervision. Stealth supervision.



My swim bag has been getting heavier and heavier. When I changed fins from the blue ones to the black ones, I noticed the weight increase. But since then I've been wondering if it's me getting more feeble. How much stuff can be in one swim bag?

Now I know. My bag lived in Michelle's car today after our swim. Our lovely swim! I did some tune up and coached. Michelle had a breakthrough! Yay her!

I'd recently read a blog from socalrunnergal, "what's in my run bag", via my buddy SUAR. As I was taking the damp gear out, I decided to take it all out to photo and itemize. Shocking. Just shocking. Here's the deceptive bag, looking all innocent.

Here is the heap of stuff. I never would have imagined.

From upper left going roughly clockwise:

  • Merrel mesh tote bag. I got it as swag at one of my first races, it's been used lots. Incredibly useful. I have two of them, but the other is downstairs.
  • The current pair of goggles and nose clips.
  • Not one, not two, but three, count'em three pairs of back up goggles.
  • One pair of backup nose clips. There's another pair around somewhere. 
  • Blue mesh bag that hasn't found a use yet. 
  • High tech rubber band for trying to keep Michelle's legs on the reservation during kick drills. In real life they were used to fasten snowshoes together. Really.
  • Black shorty fins.
  • Best body wash ever.
  • Hand paddles.
  • A spare Scotiabank bag. I think this is from the half marathon last year.
  • Flip flops. All recycled materials, bought at Tri-It.
  • A little Talisman shoe pouch as swag.
  • Two locks.
  • Shampoo and cream rinse, for when I had hair.
  • Razor.
  • Comb.
  • Last year's and the year before's Talisman renewal paperwork. Soggy.
  • A Monthly timesheet for January, that I email in to get paid. I did.
  • A key fob.
  • A luggage tag with obsolete contact information.
  • A couple ear plugs, last used early 2008 on a twin prop flight to High Level.
  • A pen, I don't know if it works. I tried later, it does. Amazing.
  • A car key, never used. At least we still own that car.
  • $2.40 in change.
  • The current swim suit, with the shark teeth motif.
  • Back up swim suit, and it gets used on short notice periodically
  • Cheque book and pen. Not that I write a lot of checks, 178 since early 2001.
  • Waiver forms for the race next weekend. Not soggy, carefully taken out and put somewhere handy.
  • Kleenex package.
  • Toothbrush. I wouldn't dream of using it on my teeth now.
  • Washcloth.
  • Underneath it all my orange towel.


And this is what didn't go back in after. Much of it went into the garbage.

First bit of decluttering done! What next?

1 comment:

  1. I cleaned out my swim bag too of uncomfortable retired gear and realized I sure don't use as much shampoo now that I don't have hair either ;) Thanks for demo-ing the missing piece that caused the breakthrough (arm out in front). Now, about that misbehaving leg...

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...