Monday, December 28, 2020

Over the top

Of my boots, that is. We had a lot of snow in the last several days. It snowed last night, and it's sort of snowing now. Or maybe it's chunky fog. Not sure.

I thought about going down into Fish Creek after the snow, but given the state of the roads I wasn't sure I'd make it. The city has had a few days to plow and the roads are good now. People have had several days to walk on the paths.

But I like to snowshoe on the river itself. It's a little tricky just now, since there's still lots of open water. I got surprised at one point when the ice gave way, but the ice, the snow packed under my snowshoes, and the snowshoes themselves kept my feet from getting wet. There were some thicker spots for whatever reason, which made me glad I'd tied the top of my boots.

There were lots of other people out enjoying the day, though not many were off the beaten path like I was. I chatted briefly with a nice family, and they let me take their photo. That one might well make the cover for the Feb issue of our community newsleter.

I was hoping for some more snow while I was down there, and had a bit of cloud and haze for some moderately interesting light. I started near bridge two, and tramped well west of bridge 1. A couple times I had to get off the river and bushwhack.

I ended up going just over 3 K, which I think is pretty good for the first time on snowshoes in a couple years.

1. My favourite bridge.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12. Bridge 1. It and bridge 8 are the least photogenic bridges in the whole park.

13
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.

Of the Day
Driftwood, but first some colour serendipity from 2017.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!