Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sunday morning thoughts

There's a Johnny Cash song, "Sunday Morning Coming Down", about waking up with a hangover and being alone. I was never a huge fan of country music so I probably didn't hear it when he first released it. I'm not even sure when I first heard it. His deep voice gives that song a twist that you can't forget.

I've had my share of hangovers in my life, but none recently. In fact, though one tends to forget them, I can't remember when I last had one. Two glasses of wine, or a big glass of beer on a hot day is about the most drinking I do now.

After years of problems sleeping, I've become a morning person a long time ago. I like getting up at a time most people think is early, and enjoying the morning, getting started on whatever needs to be started. Lately that's been making coffee, feeding and playing with the cats, often doing some writing. Just lately there's been some work meetings that happen, and work computer time.

This morning I was off consorting with other cats, feeding them while their humans are off doing fun human stuff. There was a sticky note on the drawer, telling me about the child latch. I'm guessing the cats have figured out how to open the drawer. Our cats know the crunchies are in the big green container, and paw at it sometimes, but haven't figured out how to push the lid off.

Then was coffee and editing some photos from the last couple days. There's more purple dahlia photos, and I must say I'm really pleased with some of them. Once it's done you'll get them all at once. That will be soon, I think. The nights are getting some light frost now, and that's only going to get worse. There's one more dahlia bud that we'd like to see bloom. 

The bees are not as active as they were, but there's still a few around, mostly working on the dahlias and the remains of the mint.


Autumn is in full swing here. Lots of my photo buddies are out getting landscape shots, but I don't have the time to go looking. Sometimes you don't have to travel far to get nice light.


So here I am, not hung over, enjoying life. Not alone, though my connections are many and varied, rather than a few and close. I think of a pair of my buddies, both of them "officially" 28, who have been best friends since grade 1, and rarely go a day without talking, or texting, or seeing each other. 

I like Facebook in the sense that it helps me maintain relationships, but I've been thinking lately that the price is too high. All those ads! Their recent changes have made commenting more difficult. I can't stand it when I can type faster than the system shows the letters on screen. I get all tangled up.

A buddy posted an article by Dan Rather, talking about the state of his country. Decrying the state of things is a long and honoured literary tradition, and he did just fine. I wish I could do as well. There have been any number of countries that have done well for a period of time, and then gone off the rails in what seems like mass insanity. We are watching it happen in the US, and I'm horrified it will happen here while I'm still alive. The beginnings of it is happening right before my eyes in Alberta. What can be done about it is a question much on my mind lately.

Of the day
Celina and Linda

Flower

White peony

Driftwood



2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...those white peonies. You capture them so beautifully. Glad to read you're noodling about the future of Alberta. Lots of worrying things happening for sure and sane voices (like yours) will be needed to keep things on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hope for Alberta is that Jason won't last more than 1 term, and that we will be able to recover from the damage done to our institutions. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!