Saturday, May 9, 2020

Bring your kid to work?

You get some wake up flowers this morning to take your mind off all the crap that's going on in the world.


 It doesn't seem like so long ago that on a day like today I'd have been up early, getting ready. Or getting readier, since the preparations would have started last night. The goal would be to arrive home again after a 100+Km bike ride. Pedal bike, I remind you.

Part of the trick about timing such a thing is to leaving after freezing cold, and before baking hot. Today is the first such day I've experienced that in a while. No, I'm not going on such a bike ride. Linda planted some dahlias in some back garden flower pots. They don't deal well with frost so she's been covering them up at night, and yes, it's frosted. Today there was a bit of frost on some nearby roofs, but the sun was fierce. Our thermometer said 22 in the back yard at 8:15 or so, but it was still nippy in the shade. Perfect time to be off for the bike ride. I removed the frost covers. I'm drinking coffee while eating breakfast and contemplating what to do on such a beautiful day. I suspect that even if I did get on the bike, I wouldn't make it more than 20 K.

Here's some more shots of the dahlias under discussion. Our own tulips are coming up, so stay tuned for them. And the never to be sufficiently damned lily beetles have shown up. Our current kill count is 4.


 Playing with intentional camera movement.


Less than 2 weeks ago, it looked like this. The pots with the dahlias are off to the left and were barely visible.


Where I used to ride is still a construction zone, even more active than it used to be, if you can imagine such a thing. The view from the berm around our neighbourhood is mostly dirt and construction equipment. Lots of people are pissed that the road appears to have moved further east than the drawings we were presents. The result is we lost a bunch of green space.

In the senile maundering department, which if I continue this blog for much longer, might turn into a regular feature. (But I got distracted by an amusing facebook thread chatting with a guy waiting in the service department for his vehicle, and now I don't remember what I was going to say.) Something about the way that green space used to be, back in the day when 37 st was an obscure road with a scary one way bridge over Fish Creek.

I think it was bring your kid to work day.


Curtis and Celina
From a year ago. My tagging says it appeared on Instagram at some point, and that actually turns out to be true, which is a bit of a surprise. I am not entirely consistent in tagging photos, or in how they get used in my blog, on Facebook, or Instagram. Yesterday you'd think they were mortal enemies, stalking and pouncing on one another, complete with yowls and hissing and cat swear words.


Semi-artsy photo of the day.


Driftwood of the Day


1 comment:

Looking forward to reading your comment!