We slept in today. Like last time, the internal travel days really seem to take it out of us. After a slow wake up we checked out what I thought was a bike path, but it's just a path, and the view doesn't look all that good. Then it was the beach. Oreti beach. It is huge long, and lots of it is quite flat. They filmed a movie about fast motorcycles on it.
Linda headed off to the short end while I looked for driftwood. One can drive on this beach, but I think that's cheating. Part of the experience is to walk along, feeling the sand in your feet (actually I was wearing shoes today since there was so much stuff in the sand along the high tide line where I was walking), smelling salt, feeling the wind and sun on your skin.
There was no treasure trove of driftwood, but there were some interesting pieces. After that we had some awesome lunch, Blue Cod fish and chips, and an amazing chocolate desser for me. Not the best fish and chip in NZ, but up near the top of the list. Then off to the big central garden here. Linda found roses.
1. Linda is actually on the way back for this shot. She got a long way down the beach, and turned around with then end not even in sight.
2. I decided to move Driftwood of the Day up.
4. More Linda on a big beach, empty this far from the entry.
5. Can you see the bird trying to take off? I love the faces and animals I see in the driftwood.
6. The obligatory artsy shot. There were lots of patterns in the sand today.
7. You will have already figured out this is not growing on the beach.
There are more. But I'm thinking of taking a nap, then heading out of town this evening to scope out possible night sky shots.