Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Potholes and other failures

It's formally spring in Calgary, at least according to pothole time. Actual pavement is emerging, except in the places it's missing. The freeze thaw cycle is hard on pavement, and the Calgary climate, with it's frequent chinooks, strong sun, and periodic minus WTF temperatures is outright brutal. Plus construction and temporary pavement doesn't help. The left turn from Heritage to southbound 14th St is particularly fraught with uneven pavement.

Every spring we learn to watch for cars weaving around their lanes, or even abruptly changing lanes to avoid potholes. How bad can it be, you ask? I've destroyed 2 tires by hitting potholes. I saw potholes today that can easily swallow the tire on a small car. Yeah, I'm one of the people weaving around. It's going to get worse before it gets better.



I've been out for some photos lately, but not entirely pleased with the results. The ice didn't come out like I had hoped, and the tilted one wasn't as interesting as I thought it might be. But perhaps you think differently?





From earlier in the year, some of the experimentation that didn't work out.


Deadwood of the Day



1 comment:

  1. I like the ice images, and it looks like an idea worth exploring further. I wonder though if these would be better in black and white as the colour doesn't add any information to the images. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!