Sunday, November 17, 2019

Keywording while browsing

It is very frustrating to go looking for an image, and not be able to find it easily. I have more than 100,000 images in Lightroom now, and if I've been consistent there are about 7500 I've edited for myself. There are a great many more that have had minimal processing for races or WCA events, but I don't have an easy way of finding out how many. That lack of consistency thing...

I do know there are more than 23,000 in my LReditedexports folder, but this includes many minimally edited star shots to build into a time-lapse movie, and I'm not 100% sure everything made it into that folder. Consistency...

But that was sort of fun, browsing through, looking at photos, remembering the occasions, and fixing keywords. I got better at it as I went along, learning the finer points of searching for photos that had keyword Beach, but not Driftwood. There are many of those of course, and most are legitimate, but it becomes easy to scroll through, highlight those that contain driftwood, tag them when I reach to the end, and go on to another grouping.

I was looking for a photo of a bison. Why? Well, my buddy Julie had burbbled about musk ox, of all things, and I sent her a couple of the musk ox photos I had from Yukon, which made her happy. Then she asked how big they were compared to a cow. Of course I don't have a photo of a musk ox standing beside a cow. Probably someone does, but not me. The comparison I found was to a bison, and I was thinking of comparing the bison photo to the musk ox photo. 

Except the bison photo hadn't been tagged in any way. My file names include a date (Lightroom does it automatically) and I have some notes about my photo rambles, but they aren't detailed enough to tell which drive of many that could have bison, actually did have bison photos. As it turns out, almost exactly 3 years ago, 2016-11-22 at 3:57:26 pm. I found it again by accident, and tagged it.

By then, of course, I'd lost interest in the comparison. There were many photos inadequately or incorrectly tagged, and I fixed the ones that I found, but I've no doubt there are more. This is the bison photo in question.


Camera image file names are typically a date and a 4 digit number that is used over and over again. If you should be so prolific as to shoot more than a 1000 shots in a day, it does a -2 thing. I've had this happen a few times.

So just because, this is the other photo with file number 9523. It sometimes makes for some interesting juxtapositions. This is my buddy Rose at a race.

I ended up creating a new keyword for leaves, because I've often taken photos of them. That's another one I need to fix, to find all the photos of leaves that are not keyworded that way. And people worry about me being bored in retirement. Yes, B&W is a keyword.



Deadwood of the Day


1 comment:

  1. This is something I need to figure out to. I don't have nearly as many photos as you do but have been abysmal about cataloguing them so can never find anything.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!