Monday, October 28, 2019

Stories, an initial noodle

I've been musing about stories for years. Thinking about how to organize words to tell a story that will interest other people. As a writer I might see the whole story in my head. My characters have fun trying out different roles and different takes on conversations and situations, but in the end the reader gets one word at a time. Out of that they have to assemble a story.

This is why I like books more than movies. I like the intellectual exercise of putting that story together in my head from the text other writers produce, and even more I like to work on the word order of my own stories. What's in my head can be a richer place than a movie.

SQL code is like a story too, only better defined. You have to specify not only what playground, but what pieces of equipment within it, or them, and who is playing them in what order.

Photographs, the good ones, can tell a story too, only that's harder. There is typically just one image. The viewer has to think about what's happening in the photo, maybe what happened before or after. I'm working on getting better at photos that encourage the viewer to do that.

During the walk in Fish Creek the other day, I took several photos of things, and a few of people. The one I think that tells the strongest story is this one. Feel free to comment about the story here. No, he didn't get wet at this point, so that much is out, at least for now.


So I hear that one reader piping up from the peanut gallery. If that's the one with the most story, which one is the least? As far as I know this is just a pretty picture. If it's more than that to you, I want to hear about it.



Lynx of the Day


Deadwood of the Day
Remember, X never marks the spot.


 Scavenger Photo.
Black and White


1 comment:

  1. ~ Well, I normally think it is tacky to reference my own work in someone else's blog. But, today is an exception - here is part of the story (see photo 1) https://seandrysdale.com/site_mgmt/2019/10/28/a-walk-in-a-park/.
    ~ Your silhouette in the second image makes the image - I like it.
    ~ X can only mark a spot but the spot is a philosophical quagmire.
    ~ As much as I like the scavenger photo my eye falls out of the top right corner because it is the brightest area. I have recently been experimenting with the radial filter in Lightroom - a little bit of subtle vignetting can help to centre the eye by darkening the edges. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!