Monday, September 30, 2019

A reminder of the Viking visit

Some of our friends and blog readers will remember these. We wore them on the visit to the Viking exhibit. Afterward I thought it would be fun to get some good photos of them.

1.
Jeff de Boer made this torque many years ago, for Linda to give to me as a present. It got worn to every SCA event we went to for many years. Nobody had ever seen anything like it. Then we dropped out and there haven't been so many occasions to wear it which is sort of a pity.


2.

3.

4.
There's a story about the two chunks of amber. I once had a large chunk. It was carefully wrapped up in a cloth, put into a mug, which was wrapped up and put into a sturdy wooden box, which was put into a suitcase with clothes wrapped around it, and the suitcase put onto an airplane. Remember the song United Breaks Guitars? When I opened the suitcase I got a cracked mug out and the amber was in two pieces and some bits. Sigh.


5.

6.

7.

8.
Brenda Roy made this necklace for me to give to Linda as a gift. Again, it was worn to many SCA events and had many admirers.


9.

10

11.
I unfortunately forget the name of the man who made this. It would seriously mess with an archeologist's head if they were to find it in my modern belongings. Why? It's silver mined in Europe and it was worked over charcoal fire using tools and techniques known to Vikings. Find it in a hoard and it would be accepted as period jewelry.


12.

13.

Driftwood of the Day


Lynx of the Day


2 comments:

  1. Is a torque a bracelet? It's very beautiful whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pieces, by superb craftspeople. I didn't realize that Jeff had been making pieces for that long. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!