Friday, August 2, 2019

More Fish Creek B and W

I'm getting more comfortable thinking about which photos should be converted to B and W, and I'm much more liable to try it now. Some work, some don't, These are from Tuesday's walk where I found the micro-landscapes.

1,

2.

3.

4a.
This one I'm a bit disappointed in the photo. It does not show what my eyes saw for a few minutes. The light was just right, shimmering across the grain, almost silvery in places. It's like there was a faint duplicate of the grain ridges floating above the wood. I even tried dropping it into  Photomatix to see if I could get that, and I didn't. I'm not sure I like what I got, but people that are more used to looking at B and W can say what they think, as can the rest of you. Maybe if I sprang for the Silver Efex package...


4b.

5.


Peony of the Day (July 1)


Driftwood of the Day


2 comments:

  1. Speaking of royalty, I'm thinking the skin of a lion with aged mane for number 1. Here is my 2 cents on 4. The wood looses some of its richness in 4a as the contrast appears to have been pushed too high. The tonal range of 4b is certainly better but I think you could get some life back into the image by increasing clarity a little (+5) increasing the white until just before you get the blinkies and sacrifice some of the shadow by decreasing the black a little. There is always the 3rd option, which I continue to use on a regular basis. That one is to say ah I have learned something but this little piggy ain't going to market. Cheers, Sean PS Nice set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to spend some time tomorrow in Lightroom in light of your comments.

      Delete

Looking forward to reading your comment!