Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The people of the tours

One of the fun things about the tours Neil runs is photographing the other people working on their shots. Sometimes I'm the shot they're working on, which is cool. Sometimes we all pile out of the van and it's obvious what people are going to photograph. I can usually get the shots I want while others are still working on them, and that leaves me free to shoot the people.

Sometimes it's less obvious, or there are choices. I try to see what other people are shooting, and think about why that's interesting. Sometimes I learn things, sometimes I look at things differently, and sometimes I get ideas.

In the past I've said I'm not much of a people photographer, and was more interested in things, or scenes. I spent three days last week shooting the Green Fools doing a workshop intensive, and took more photos there than in about the last 3 months, which included two races. It's given me a whole new appreciation for for photographing people. There might be more of it.

These were taken during the 'secret' tour, and the sheep river valley tour. The only criteria for these photos is that someone is in them. They might be small, but they're there.





Who says a 150-600 mm lens isn't a portrait lens?



We had an embargo on the Logger beer photos till they announced it. There are others coming. Stay tuned.




This one is a repeat, but I just love it.




If I was a portrait photographer I'd be pretty happy with this shot.






No, she didn't fall in, and we didn't have to rescue her.



Driftwood of the Day


1 comment:

  1. More and more I dislike this idea that we are types of photographers. I think we are photographers first, and at a particular point in time we focus on particular subject matter. So the best I can say is that I am a photographer currently primarily focused on landscape, but that may change at some point - it depends on the muses and the journeys.
    And here are the photos of note with reasons.
    1 For the scale and lighting
    3 For the woman "getting the shot" from the floor
    5 For the portrait (you got close) and the corner of orange rectangle
    12 For the candidness and similarities in private / public concentration
    15 For the question - what captured all their attention
    20 For the concentration in her lips
    Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!