Saturday, February 9, 2013

Run for Sherry, a bonus post

This month I had planned on doing a creative writing exercise, taking 28 reader supplied words, and doing a blog a day in Feb, about those words.

However, the run for Sherry deserves it's own post. I don't know Sherry Arnold, but she is the cousin of a blog buddy of mine. Find Shut Up and Run in my blog roll, and it will not be hard to find more info about Sherry. The very short story is that she was snatched off the street a mile from her house, and killed by two drifters.

What's really horrible is that isn't a one off crime. It happens over and over again. Sometimes the woman lives, traumatized by the ordeal. Often she doesn't. In Vancouver BC, there is a continuing story of how Robert Pickton was able to kill dozens of women. The Highway of Tears refers to an 800 Km stretch of Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert, British Columbia, where (officially) 18 women are missing, and some think it could be as high as 43. There is no end to the heartbreaking stories. It doesn't need to be like this.

All these women are somebodies daughter. Many are somebodies sister. Many are mothers. None of them deserve this as a result of doing nothing more than living their daily lives. Yet it will keep happening till we make it stop. All us guys need to start standing up when we hear misogynistic comments from other guys. We need to raise our sons to respect women. We need to start stepping up to the plate to make a safer community.

I'd hoped to get the Calgary SUAR fan club together, but it didn't quite work out for one reason or another. It was Leaha and me today. I've been out for bike rides with Leaha before, but this is the first time we've run. She is still recovering from being hit by a truck a couple years ago.

Untitled


We were out for a very easy run in Confederation park. I've driven through it any number of times, on 10th St or 14th St, but I've never actually been in it. I'll have to visit again.


Along the way I had to get a photo of the little stream that runs through the park.
Untitled


We ran and walked 6 K nice and easy. Lots of very slippery sections. I'm normally pretty steady on my feet, and I had a bit of a ride one time. It was a beautiful day out for a run. There were several other runners, and even a small pack of cyclists.




3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you as it was definitely a run with great purpose. I'm glad to hear that Leaha is recovering and is back running. I think she used to be with TTL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to get together in the summer and do Fish Creek. Our luck and there will be a major storm that day. I think she did used to be with TTL, but I'm not sure who is coaching her now, or if she's being coached at all.

      Delete
  2. Just read this, Keith. It's beautiful. So glad you ran for Sherry. And so glad you wrote about it the way you did. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!