Thursday, October 11, 2012

He was soooo vanilla

Getting caught up here. It was tough to get going after the weekend. Tuesday afternoon was a massage that left me a whimpering mess, even though nothing felt really tight going in. She found lots to work one.

Swam half hour on Wed morning. This is where the vanilla comes in. There I was sitting in the locker room at Talisman, drying my feet, minding my own business. Suddenly I'm whapped upside the nostrils with vanilla. No, really, it was VANILLA!!! I like the smell and flavour well enough, but this was an overdose. My eyes were watering. I don't know if it was aftershave, or some manly cologne, or what, but I felt sorry for anyone else in the elevator on the way into the office.

The swim was barely ok. I had no feel for the water at all. Thrashed for the 30 minutes, and headed into work.

Yoga was an exercise in froth control. Linda had made a veggie soup that was still a bit frothy and my tummy wasn't sure how to deal with it. By the time yoga class came around I was concentrating on sphincter and belch control, and it distracted me from the poses.

Neither of us slept well, and there was a good reason for that that I'm not going to share. So Thursday I was up early and decided to head downstairs for an easy spin. I love our cats dearly, but I get a bit nervous with them around the trainer behind me where I can't see them. I'm afraid that they'll bat at some moving parts. They started by playing with some clutter and knocking it off a shelf. I should have taken that as a warning. I was off the bike to clean that up before they scattered it. Very soon after getting back on one of the cats started wandering towards the pedals. I put down the iPad on the shelf beside me, and picked up a water bottle to squirt some at the cat. Somehow my elbow jostled a corner of the iPad and twirled it about and off the edge of the shelf.

That was very bad emotionally. I normally take pretty good care of my stuff and this isn't even two years old yet. The bamboo frame took part of the impact and splintered a big piece off one edge. A corner of the aluminum frame folded in a bit and did terrible things to the glass. However, it still worked so I was able to back it up.

I have an appointment Friday afternoon to see if it can be fixed and what the cost will be. I've just assumed that either it can't be fixed because of the damage to the aluminum, or they would essentially sell me a refurbished one. For the delta on a new one, I'd rather have the new one. So I did. It took a while to get it going from the backup, just because of the time to transmit the data, but it's all up and running now. I've even ordered a heavy duty protective case. (Picture the two government guys at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark as they are saying "top men", and have them saying "Heavy Duty".) Yeah.

Ending on a high note. Earlier this week my boss asked if I was interested in staying with the project another year. Well, duh. The paperwork got pushed to extend the contract till the end of 2013. Yay me!

7 comments:

  1. I sometimes think the cats get me to break things on purpose because they think it's funny. Glad you could back up though, it's such a bad feeling when something happens to something you care about.


    The first day (the VERY FIRST DAY) I had my MacBook, I managed to knock it off a the top of my dresser and dent it. Luckily, that was 2 years ago and nothing broke, except for a very slight lack of stability on a table.


    On Saturday, I did a workout I found on Pinterest. 10 pushups, 20 sit ups, 20 lunges, 25 squats, 80 jumping jacks, and 60 second wall sit. I did it three times.


    By Tuesday I was tempted to use the handicapped stall because it hurt so much to sit. That was much harder on me than I anticipated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really too bad about the iPad. I don't trust myself with expensive things. I used to hide my engagement ring because I was certain I would damage it/lose it/have it stolen.

    Glad you were able to back it up. Losing stuff is so frustrating, digital or tangible.

    Loved the sphincter control line. I always have to be careful in downward dog pose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see the protective case I got this time. It looks like a car tire. It's what they put iPads in for autistic children. I just have to make it till next Wed, Amazon says. Normally our problem with stuff is that we have it so long, and it isn't working well, and we ask ourselves why we waited so long to replace it. Whoever cleans up after we die is going to have some perplexing looks on their face I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reasonably sure I couldn't do that workout once. That wall sit is a killer. Everybody seems to start out their workouts too hard, too long, too fast, too much. Hope you're up and walking soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratz on getting your contract extended!


    I screamed like a little girl at the pictures of your iPad *shiver* - Glad you are back up and running - my experience with Apple have been good so far with replacing items that die...my iPod touch nano bit it after almost two years of daily use and multiple long runs in the rain. For less than half the price of a new one they replaced it.


    Dinner soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I can do wall sits until the cows come home, but the lunges and squats kill me every time. I didn't give the workout enough credit because I have been biking so much, and it only took 16 minutes. Lesson. Learned.


    I'm back on track. Going to do the workout with ONE set on the days I don't do anything else (did one yesterday, and I felt it but am not hobbling). I'll try adding a second set when it gets easy. Gotta get ready for cross country ski season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the contract extension!!!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!