Monday, July 5, 2010

GWN numbers, random catch up stuff, including photos

So here it is Monday evening. Not a shred of a workout today. Nothing. De Nada. Zilch. And I loved it. Maybe some water running tomorrow.

I'm actually feeling pretty good. Calves and hams still tired and twingy. Nearly cramped them just sitting in one position too long at work today. Looking forward to an acupuncture appointment on Friday. I should have been smarter and made the appointment last week. I'm going to head downstairs in a few minutes and put my feet up some more.

I'm still happy about results for GWN, and I'm happy knowing I can be faster still. Maybe not 45 minutes faster for a half, but I think a good chunk. Let's see if I can summarize the the results to save you having to find me in the results here.


Place overall      425 of 646
Place age group       53 of 82

Rank water overall   178
Rank water AG       13
Time water         36:16 
T1   3:03

Rank off the bike overall   334
Rank off the bike age group 40
Bike split         2:54:07  
T2 1:44

Rank run overall      527
Rank run age group  65
Run split           2:26:06
Overall time       6:01:20

When I look at the numbers, thats my slowest run in some time, but it wasn't so long ago that running a 7 min K pace was doing really well. I'm not sure why my hams were semi-cramped. I don't think I made a major goof on nutrition, since I was in a pretty good mood all the way along. Let's see. Good breakfast. Pre swim a Gu (the chocolate mint is a winner!) and a banana. On the bike, 1.5 Clif bar, 3 endurolyte pills, 1.5 bananas, 1 Gu, 1.3 bottles of energy drink, and a bottle of water. The run was 3 Gu's, a couple slices of orange, some flat coke (which tasted gross the last time and I'm glad I was near the finish). I paid pretty close attention to the slosh factor during the bike. It was a cool day so my hydration was down, but I don't think I broke into a sweat at all on the bike.

Linda really enjoyed herself as well, which is good. She dropped me off and had the day to herself, then met me at the finish line. I can't really blame her. Much as I like doing triathlons I have to admit they aren't exactly a spectator friendly sport unless you know lots of people, and the athletes are doing lots of loops. We basically bombed in on Saturday afternoon just in time for package pickup, and bailed out right after my massage to visit friends in Edmonton. Or rather, for me to visit their shower. Rob and Kate are dear people we've known for many years now, and we love to visit, but what I really wanted was their shower. Sorry guys. The nibblies were wonderful.

Here's some random photos from the last little while that I've finally got around to getting out of the camera.

I've talked to some people about doing a mini T-camp down at Chain Lakes Provincial park. It's about half way between where me and Julie live. The idea is to set up transition, do a swim, T1, ride maybe 10 K on highway 22, T2, then a short run. Set up transition again, and do it all over. Again. As often as desired. Then eat some well earned BBQ. There's a problem with it though. The actual transition from water to shore is a bitch. This is the best spot I found. By far. Everywhere else needs a small ladder. Everything looks pretty good.


Here's me, Jason, and Cath waiting for the Wasa start. No Kelly, that's not a glass of wine. But I admit the similarities to the cardboard cutout you suspect are uncanny.


And here's me on the run during Wasa. Way in the distance in the red jersey.


Some rainbows just because they're pretty.





As I mentioned, the GWN swag bag was great! It had 2 big containers of vitamin supplements, a bunch of Hammer gels, the endurolytes that came in so handy on the bike, lots of promo materials, the race essentials of number tag and T bags and a huge map, plus the shirt. It fits quite well. Here's a photo of the logo on it, and the finisher medal.



 

10 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC JOB KEITH!!!! Your are truly kicking butt this year - I'm so happy for you!

    I can't wait to be cheering you on at IMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is COOL, COOL, COOL, COOL, COOL! Sounds like you really enjoyed your race, (cramps an' all!) and that's what it's all about - that's COOL!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I admire you triathletes. I also think you're all nutters but I admire you nonetheless.

    Also, super pretty rainbow pictures. Only in Kanada, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Stud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your times are way better than i could do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have met Keith...even been to his house for lunch...he is NOT a cardboard cutout!!
    That? Was funny!! Nice job on the race! Feels good to do good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all about the schwag!! Dude, you scored big time!!! LOL!!!

    I am still interested in doing that mini-sprint tri training thing...I'm leaving for Penticton next week for a week long training camp, and then it will be Calgary 70.3....maybe sometime after that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the great race numbers!

    Your colleagues at BP would be jealous. But, of course, they're jealous of ANYONE who isn't a total Eff-Up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the logo on the shirt and the medal! Sounds like you had a great race and I can't wait to read about it (next on my adgenda). Love looking at all the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith,

    I think I remember you on the run course at GWN - my finish time was 19 sec ahead of you - and I think when you passed me around the 18.5k mark, you asked if I was going for sub 6 (missed it by 61 sec! d'oh!)

    I was wearing a TCR tri top...were you in a read canada jersey (same one as in the Wasa Jersey?)

    good luck with your training for IMC - it's such an awesome day (I did it in 09!)

    Congrats on a great GWN!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!