Friday, January 8, 2010

The case of the missing swim shorts

Those who've actually met me can attest that I'm just a little vague around the edges. Forgetful, in an amiable sort of way. So I rely on routines to get me through the day. For example, I always hang up my car keys, and running house key up on a set of hooks near the front door. That way I know where they are, as opposed to any number of jacket or jean pockets. Or somewhere else.

More to the point, I've learned that when I come home from swimming I need to unroll the towel, hang it over the stair banister with the swim shorts, and prop up the sandals near the heat vent so they dry out. Then at a convenient time when I'm going downstairs, the towel comes with me to be left near the washing machine. The shorts go back to the bedroom ready for the next days swim.

Except yesterday, the last half of that process went awry. I clearly remember picking up the shorts, and then, and then, things go all vague, in an amiable sort of way. I have wandered around the house several times looking at the tops of various surfaces where I could have put them down so I could do something else. I've done more diligent searches through piles of laundry, excavating layers of stuff on the chaise lounge in the bedroom. I've even looked in somewhat unlikely places. I have no idea where they are. Perhaps they discovered the hiding place where one Ironman sock hid for months on end.

Ran an hour today, with 10 min warm up walk and the same cool down walk. Easy 15 minute run to get the blood moving, then some faster intervals. Supposedly fast, faster, and fastest, each for a shorter time. That didn't work out so well. The first was good, but the second ended up being fastest, and the third was more reasonably faster. No, not faster than fastest, just faster than fast. Fast by my standards, of course. Easy in between, to say nothing of dodging dogs and stupid owners.

Snacked, then off to the pool for a swim. I was astonished when I got there. For the first time EVER I had the whole pool to myself. Nice. I could get used to that. I was about half done when a few other people showed up, but not as many people as lanes. Very nice. Actual time in the pool was 66 minutes for 2800 m of lots of different fun stuff. In addition to the swimming I really concentrated on the flip turns. Really focussing on tightening the core, pulling legs around, trying for a nice tight fast turn and surfacing well. 80 times. Abs are sore and tired after but things are better. I did some open turns on 100's to keep track of time, and some of the drills and choice didn't have flip turns.

A theory about pool snuffle was proposed to me. I usually hit the hot tub after a swim. These are festering vats of excess pool chemicals, which I knew, and didn't care about. I like the warmth. Still, the theory is that the excess chemicals, together with the froth of the pumps, means that I'm breathing in more fumes from pool chemicals. So I'm going to skip the hot tub for a while and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and any ideas about where the shorts could be, will be gratefully accepted.

7 comments:

  1. I'm jealous, a full pool to yourself!
    I'm very much the same way, I need things in certain places so I don't have any trouble. I wish I suggest a place to try, but I'm useless at it when I lose things ... let us know where they turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do the hot tub, but I still get pool snuffle....interesting to see if that is the cause of yours.

    Did you find your shorts yet? Hee-hee! It's so weird when that happens, eh? Every once in a while I'll short circuit too and put the milk in the cupboard, etc. Hahahaha!! Tri brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, oh man, we are so much alike it hurts.

    I needed 10 minutes today to find my swimsuit, it wasn't in one of the two drawers where all my sport clothes are.

    I didn't have the pool to me all by myself, but a lane for about 10 minutes!!! I love bad weather for car drivers, it means free lanes for me. muahahaha!

    Pool snuffle, I always thought mine was due to the chlorine. Today I feel fine, which is unusual to me.

    Thank you for adding me to your blog list I feel very honoured.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the vagueness due to your age? Or, maybe that you're Kanadian? Or, is it both?! Made only worse by that fact that you have 2 strikes against you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the vagueness due to your age? Or, maybe that you're Kanadian? Or, is it both?! Made only worse by that fact that you have 2 strikes against you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I said was so important, I had to post it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, interesting theory on the hot tub. I'm curious to see what happens.

    Good luck finding those swimming shorts!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!