Sunday, December 27, 2009

Well, that was almost painful

Saturday we went for a nice walk down through Fish Creek. It was a beautiful day. All was good.

Sunday I woke up to an achy painful right hip. Lots of sore and creaky muscles around it. I did a bit of of easy stretching and massage to try to loosen things up. When I finally got on my bike I warmed up really slowly, really easily, trying to see if I could get things to loosen up. After 25 minutes things weren't much better but I started into the workout anyways.

I very quickly bailed on anything over 100 rpm for more than 30 seconds. I could feel myself fading on that, and things were getting very jerky. The first part of the main set was 5 min at 90 rpm. Picked one gear easier than what I'd normally do for this, and found I was struggling to maintain the rpm. I was sweating a bucket, even though my heart rate was well below what I'd think of as normal for that. The sore muscles were starting to burn so I gave it up. I didn't even consider running.

Even the stretching was painful, and didn't seem to help much. Here's the difference between legs. Lie down on your back, one leg stretched out straight, and the other bent with sole of the foot on the mat. Rotate the straight leg inwards so the toes roll sideways toward the floor. My left leg will go almost to the floor. My right will go barely past the vertical, and it's an ouchy going that far. Even trying to get into pigeon pose was painful. So I'm not sure what's happening there. I sometimes have these things flare up and go away as suddenly as it comes. Hope it's better tomorrow.

Weekly Summary
Swim 1.0 hrs
Bike 4.5 hrs
Run 2.66 hrs
Walk 2.0 hrs
Core 1.75 hrs
Total 11.9 hrs.

4 comments:

  1. *winces

    Hope you are better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely sounds painful...U getting all that checked out? need a re-alignment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek - sounds like my hip/ back combo started out - if it doesn't clear up today, I'd get it checked out. And ye of sound advice to others to listen to their bodies.....quote...."so I started into the workout anyways"......you bad lad :)

    Seriously, hope it's sorted today, but be careful you don't flare something up there.

    Cheers
    C

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!