Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New core move that nearly ruptured me

Monday is swim day. I was thinking about going back up to FOMC so I could hit Costco on the way home, but it turns out that  Costco doesn't open till 11. That was a bit of a surprise.

The swim went well, about 2100 m in 45 minutes or so, PLUS, just for Julie, another 15 minutes of trying flip turns. At least I didn't drown, or back flush my brains out my nasal passages. Swim was all intervals. I'm feeling stronger and a bit smoother on the swim now, even though I'm not sure I'm going any faster. But it's early days, I'm sure it will come together.

The funny pool story has to do with the high school kids. There was a herd of them just standing in the change room door to the pool. Several successively louder 'excuses me's' had no effect. Then I said that all the cute girls out there are going to think you're a bunch of gay fan boys if you're standing so close to each other, rather than going out and socializing like normal human beings. There were some glares, but I was comfortably bigger than all of them and was looking grumpy, so they moved. And, by golly, the high school girls were a bunch of hotties this time. It made me regret not getting my eyes fixed. Since I can't hardly see squat without my glasses I just got into the pool and got started. I'm not sure what they were doing, but it involved lots of splashing and didn't look like swimming. I was much less grumpy after the swim.

That lasted till I went over to Costco just after lunch, and talk about geezer city! PLUS, they had moved stuff. Again.  The cheese was nowhere near where it used to be. I found it in an aisle of higgledy piggledy shopping carts and people. I pretended it was an Italian crowd and walked through it, not caring about the glares and grumbles. I was surprised when I stopped and a woman materialized right beside me, reaching for the same kind of cheese. She smiled, and murmured that it was nice there was at least one person who knew where they were going. I bulled my way back out again, hip checking a shopping cart that a geezer pushed in front of me because they weren't paying attention. The rest of the store was filled with people shambling along like half slaughtered oxen that I navigated around as best I could. I should count it as workout time.

I considered going to yoga to make up the missed class, and bailed. Going to bed early was a much more attractive option.

Today was a tough bike workout that turned out to be 90 minutes, PLUS the 6 minutes that Katie gypped me out of on Sunday. Lots of high speed spin. Trying to maintain at least 125 rpm for 90 seconds sure drives the heart rate up. Then, in addition to the one leg drill during the warm up, there was another round of it at the end of the workout! I didn't think I was going to make that one. I have to admit there were a few clunks going over the top.

Then a half hour of core, that except for one thing was all good. Did you ever try a pose, and know instantly you weren't going to make the suggested time? This was lying on my back and trying to lift my heels 6 inches off the mat and hold for a minute. Geez, I don't think those particular ab muscles have ever been asked to do anything, or at least not anything so strenuous. I barely lasted 30 seconds, then had to rest 30 seconds before trying again. Getting up after that one was hard. My mantra was "This is good for me. THIS IS GOOD FOR ME. THIS HAD FUCKING WELL BETTER BE GOOD FOR ME!"

And because I managed to use the usual starting words for a fun poetry meter called double dactyl, I thought I would include one for your amusement. Even if they aren't quite as much fun as limericks. 

Higgledy Piggledy
Joseph DiMaggio,
Jolted the ball but was
Jilted in bed.

Marilyn walked, but he
Necro-romantically
Laid her in rose bouquets
When she was dead.


6 comments:

  1. Do crowds just follow you around :) Geezer City is going to be Panama City Beach soon! The weather is changing up north - so the flocks are slowly driving south :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny post.... this had f%cking well better be good for me... walking around like half slaughtered oxen.... Where do you com up with this stuff. i have seen them oxen at my local costco. Slowly bleeding out, walking slowly, bumbling, unaware that their death is so near....

    I just got out of bed after a nap and going to the garage to ride...it better be F*cking good for me cause that nap was the cat's meow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooo proud of you for trying flip turns for 15 minutes!!! WOW, Keith, I am so impressed!! That is an awfully long time to endure water getting up your nose, etc. Did you use a pool noodle like in the videos?

    I think we should have a pool date -- we can do flip turns together...What do you think? I'm serious!! :) :) And then coffee afterward! :) :)

    The Calgary Costco is atrocious -- you are so right. The Lethbridge one is a lot less populated with old farts. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you come up with this stuff? Too funny. Aren't flip turns fun?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahahahahaha!!! I work with all those old folk...every. single. day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait. For your American readers ... what's the visual cue that would allow one to know the difference between "a bunch of gay fan boys" and just a run-of-the-mill bunch of Canadians?

    KERTWANG!

    I'm BACK!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!