Monday, October 12, 2009

It's hard to do the cha-cha-cha when you're on the bike

Helllllloooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! (hello, hello, hello echos back) It's been awfully quiet in blogland. Too quiet. I expect things to burst forth any moment now. News of long weekend debauchery, massive eating, training plans temporarily abandoned, and who knows what else all? I burn with curiosity.

Today's bike and core workout looked tough on paper. This is the first time in a while I've had to have the bike plan in front of me during the workout. Lots of different stuff. Warmup, with some one leg drill.  Cadence. Gear work. Climbing. Aerobic stuff. Cool down. I worked through each methodically, with loud tunes going. During the warm up and cool down I was trying to spin nice and smooth, and the same during the hardest gear work. Often my form slips back to mashing the gears, so I've been taking that in hand, so to speak, and trying to spin better under load. It's getting better.

It seems the hardest part of the workout is the cool down. The last bit of hard stuff left me totally wet, so once I mopped off and got some water I settled down to an easy spin and let the sweat evaporate. Meanwhile my butt wants off the saddle. It's very difficult for me, just sitting there doing easy spin, waiting for the clock to tick down to the finish time. I had only a few minutes to go when a great cha-cha-cha tune came on, and I'm trying to dance my feet out of the pedals. I clipped out on time with half the song to go, so I danced with myself for a couple minutes doing Electric Slide. 90 minutes on the bike, 2 minutes dancing.

After a snack I got into the core work. That was 45 minutes of oofness. Why is it I can wall sit for 60 seconds, and only for 45 using the fit ball? Why do my feet slide out from under me when using the ball? Yes I'm wearing shoes. Planked 3 x for a minute each, that's a first. I think it's going to be a long time before I do chinups again. The muscles around the inside of both elbows simply isn't up to it. They aren't just weak, I think they're still damaged.

Then Linda and I went out for a walk around the neighbourhood for 45 minutes. We took back some DVD's. (Australia [ack choke], Easy Virtue [surprisingly good, but then it's based on a Noel Coward play], and Weeds, which we enjoyed.) It's -6 C, and with the wind chill it's -12 C. I'm glad I was wearing a hat. The rest of the week is supposed to be cold, except for Saturday. That's predicted to be 19!!! And I'm stuck in a course all day. That's going to suck the big one if I could have gone out for a bike ride that day. I hope the weather guy is wrong and it snows. Humph. It's snowing now.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visual of you dancing in spandex. Thankfully, no else saw or you may have been arrested.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you! Hope it was a great day with lots of good food.

    I just posted my belated weekend report...laid out of work today, sick, blech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walks are so underrated, esp with the spouse. Sounds like agood one.

    The cha cha cha on a bike conjures up funny images.

    Sorry about the weather, it sucks here too if that makes ya feel any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, hello, hello back(loved that part).

    Sorry, vacation called and I was away.

    I can never do the cooldown either...thought I was the only one.

    I agree w/ KK about the chacha. Only I just laughed and pictured you doing it and then smiled.

    I always fall using the fitball too....another "I thought I was the only one" comment. Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!