Monday, April 13, 2009

swim, blood, run

Aside from the mass confusion in the fast lanes at the pool, I had a great swim. One lane had two really slow, really wide breast strokers. The other had one reasonable swimmer, one very slow swimmer that takes up a whole lane with is wide recovery and arm going into the water producing a huge splash, and one guy doing something weird with a flutter board. I wanted no part of any of it.

I shared a medium lane with a guy that I thought swam slower. I passed him once in the first couple laps, then he picked up the pace, and essentially disappeared. Never passed him again, and ended up having a nice peaceful swim. Not fast, mind you. A little over 30 m for 1500 m. Some drill - fist, one arm, catchup. Core work in the dive tank. 1 hour overall.

Canadian Blood Services called last week, and begged me to come give blood. I used to give, many years ago, till the president of the Canadian Red Cross flipped Parliament and the Courts the bird over the Hep C lawsuits. Screw them. But things have changed. I have a fairly rare blood type (A neg, only 6% of people have it) so they're pretty happy to see me back. All went well.

Per their instruction, I had a lazy day. Still, I went out for a run this evening. Ran 15 min easy, 30 min doing 30 seconds hard strides every 5 min or so, and another 15 easy run. My heart rate monitor was a lying waste of time; it was reading way too high. I should not be breathing lightly, able to chat, and think about running faster, when my heart rate is 140. So I ignored it and went by how I was feeling. It was a nice evening for a run, cool and windy.

5 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you managed a bike outside. EEE!! Although, I'm not even thinking about what the roads are like in the Pass right now...

    Crazy pool people, eh? Let sharkie out to play with them...:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was definitely much windier today so opted to do my bike inside on the trainer. I am too nervous with wind like that and highway riding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want to get punched in the head swimming! Those people are always a little scary in the pool, you gotta watch out. Usually look like they're drowning or doing synchro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was he doing weird with the flutter board?
    Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to give blood...but now they don't want it cause i keep getting tattoos and piercings. their loss. lol. breast strokers scare me...my ribs flinch when they go by.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!