Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ugg.

Swam too much to call it a rest day, but I'm not going to dignify it by adding it to my workout totals. I didn't feel bad or tired or anything going into the pool, but in less than a length, I knew it wasn't going to be good.

I got through 250 m struggling to do it in 5 minutes. I was nearly out of breath. I could see that trying to continue that was going to be futile so I started some 50 m intervals. I can't see the pace clock, so I powered up and down the pool and looked at my watch. And I didn't believe the results. So I started my stopwatch, and pushed a little harder. Can you believe 49 seconds for what was a nearly all out effort????? I actually checked my pants to see if someone had fastened a parachute when I wasn't looking. I did a couple more just to see if the first couple were a fluke, and I got slower. It felt like I was swimming through warm yogurt. I did a couple more laps to cool down, then went over to the dive tank for about a half an hour of core and flexibility. Even that was tough going compared to Monday.

So I don't know what happened. I'm not upset. I guess puzzled more than anything, and more than willing to mark it off as a bad workout day. Even now I don't feel tired or weak. I guess it's one of those things that can be expected to happen from time to time!

5 comments:

  1. I had a similiar experience as well this AM in the pool. Its a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is the calm before the storm ....or in this case a breakthough. Just watch, I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jenna -- you are ripe for a breakthrough. (And not from the warm yogurt!!) LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar experience yesterday in the pool hitting the re-taste it zone. I've never hit the re-taste it zone. Something good is coming...just wait! And if something worse comes along...just wait...something even better will be coming!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!